Simscribe User Guide
Simscribe is a network voice and communications capture and replay tool for live, virtual, and constructive (LVC), after-action review (AAR), and game-based training applications. Simscribe captures and replays local Voisus traffic and external DIS traffic.
- Live radio communications
- Air, land, and sea simulators
- Serious Game communications
- Classroom student/instructor-based training
- Centralized, web-based configuration and management
- Integrates directly into VBS2/3 in-game recording and playback features
- Browser-based Simscribe App for simple recording, replay, and bookmarking of key events
- Custom recordings and playback with filter Options
- Custom SDK available for integration with other AAR tools
- DIS interoperability
- Works with simulated and live radios and intercoms
User Interface Options
- Browser-based Simscribe App
- VBS2/3 in-game AAR plugin launches automatically with the game for seamless operation (see Simscribe for VBS in the Voisus Client User Guide.)
- A Simscribe API and Software Development Kit (SDK) are available. Contact ASTi for details.
In the Voisus web interface navbar, click the Simscribe drop-down menu to access Simscribe controls, recordings, and preferences.
A scenario must be installed before you attempt to record network traffic.
To make a new recording, click the New button and then the Record/Pause button to begin.
While recording, mark key events with the "Add Bookmark" feature.
When the recording is finished:
- Pause the recording.
- Click the Save button.
- Enter a recording name.
- Select or deselect the optional "Append Date and Time" checkbox.
To play back a recording, click the Load button and select the file of your choice.
Use the controls on the Simscribe control page to play/pause, fast-forward, and rewind the recording.
To listen to playback audio, use a Voisus software client to tune in to the specific nets you wish to listen to. To download a software client, click "Download Clients" under the wrench drop-down menu in the navbar.
The Recordings page lists all the saved recordings on the Voisus server.
Use the wrench drop-down menu to transfer recording files between the Voisus server and your local computer.
Download Archive: Select logs and click the Download button to create a compressed archive (TGZ) file that is downloaded to your local computer.
Upload: Select an archived log file to upload to the Voisus server. If you experience difficulty uploading large Simscribe files (2GB or greater), contact ASTi for assistance.
Download WAV File: Converts network audio recordings to WAV files. The downloaded file can be separated into individual WAV files by Net or by Radio.
Allow VBS control will open an additional TCP port that is used to accept control commands from the VBS Simscribe plugin. When this option is disabled, VBS in-game control of Simscribe will not function. See Simscribe for VBS in the Voisus Client User Guide for more details.
Enable Simscribe DIS replay will broadcast Simscribe playback through the DIS gateway.