Telestra 2 App Note
Telestra v2.4-6 Software Update (#75)
This note describes the software update process for Telestra software v2.4-6. ASTi recommends this software update for all Telestra 2U hardware platforms running Telestra 2-series software, v2.4-5 and earlier.
Hardware Note: Telestra 2U hardware refers to a 3.75-inch height, 19-inch width rackmount chassis form-factor.
Software Note: Telestra 2 software provides remote management features and optional radio simulation services (e.g., HLA, SATCOM, HF / ALE) when used in conjunction with ASTi DACS. The Telestra software version is displayed by the Telestra Configuration Utility. Press the 'Settings' button to view the Telestra software version.
The Telestra v2.4-6 software update provides a critical fix to the Remote Management System (RMS) DACS File Maintenance utility. The DACS File Maintenance utility, located in RMS under the DACS Systems / File Xfer tab, allows users to navigate the DACS system file structure, download files for archiving, and upload files to the DACS over the network. Telestra software v2.4-5 and earlier may not properly perform DACS file uploads. RMS may prematurely report that file uploads are complete. Telestra v2.4-6 fixes this problem.
Complete information on installing Telestra 2 software can be found in the Telestra v2.4 User Guide and Telestra v2.4 Cold Start Procedure; see especially Chapter 5.0 "Cold Start Procedure: 2U & 4U Telestra Systems".
Warning: The Telestra software installation will completely overwrite all existing information on the Telestra system. You must back up the option file and the configuration file before installing the new software. You must upload the files back to the Telestra after the software update. Complete instructions on downloading option files and configuration files can be found in the Telestra v2.4 User Guide.
Step 1: Using RMS to create a backup copy of the Telestra option file
From RMS Menu / Mgmt / Telestra Options File Management, select "Click any [option] filename to download". You will re-install this file (upload it) to the Telestra in a later step.
Step 2: Use RMS to get a backup copy of the Telestra configuration file
From RMS Menu / Mgmt / select "Download Configuration File". You will re-install this file (upload it) to the Telestra in a later step.
Step 3: Installing the Telestra Software
Note: Before commencing with the Telestra software installation, ensure the "Boot Priority" is set in accordance with the BIOS instructions outlined in Telestra v2.4 Cold Start Procedure. Otherwise, the Telestra system will not boot from the CD-ROM and automatically enter the installation routine.
- Shut down the Telestra before starting the software installation.
- Turn on the Telestra system via the power switch on the front of the chassis. The system may or may not fully boot, and you may receive an error message.
- Insert the CD labeled "Telestra Software CD" into the CD-ROM drive.
- Reboot the system using the "Reset" button on the front of the chassis.
- The system will begin to boot from the CD. A message will appear warning that all data will be erased from the hard disk. Press the 'ENTER' key to begin installation.
- The screen may go blank for about a minute as the X server (graphical interface) starts. This is normal and the process should not be interrupted.
- The Telestra Software Installer will load and the software installation will proceed without any further user action.
- When installation is complete, the CD tray will slide open. Remove the CD from the tray. Failure to do this will result in the full reinstallation of the software.
- Click the "Exit" button in the graphical interface if you have a mouse connected to the Telestra system. Otherwise, press the 'ENTER' key to select "Exit". The Telestra system will then reboot and start from the hard disk.
Step 4: Using RMS to upload the backup copy of the Telestra option file
From the RMS Menu / Mgmt / Telestra Options File Management, select "Telestra Options File Management", browse to find the file and select "Upload File".
Step 5: Use RMS to upload the backup copy of the Telestra configuration file
From the RMS Menu / Mgmt, select "Upload RMS Configuration File", select "Start Upload", browse to find the file and select "Upload File".
You have now completed the Telestra software update.