Telestra App Note
Telestra HF Configuration (#97)
The ASTi HF Server provides real-time, high-fidelity modeling of HF radios using the ACE virtual radio environment. The HF Server computes propagation effects between virtual radios, taking into account such things as transmitter-receiver global position, season, time of day (day-night terminator), and solar activity.
The standard HF configuration is setup simply by using the HFServer component inside the Target model with the radios. HF effects are applied to all Receivers on the Target.
- In ACE Studio, set up the Domain. The HFServer component and the Receiver must be configured to use the same Domain.
- Set up the HFServer component to use the Domain. Set the values for the SSN and Offset.
- In the Commplan under Receiver Gain set the HF Request flag. Then select the appropriate receiver gain for the waveform and net.
Another option for HF configuration is to use a two-platform solution where one Target is the server platform and there may be one or more Target client platform(s) on the network.
- In ACE Studio, set up the HFServer component, Domain, and Commplan as you would for the Standard Configuration, as described above.
- In addition, you must set up the HF path interface and port number in the DIS Gateway to match the HF Server. The default port number is 33000, but this is flexible. The IP Address must be the IP address of the HF Server.
To configure the Target platform as the server in ACE Studio follow the steps below.
- Set up the HF path interface and port number in the DIS Gateway. (See the example screen above).
- The default port number is 33000, but this is flexible. The port number must match the client port number, otherwise no response is sent.
- Set either Multicast or Broadcast, and add the IP address of the server. The server will send unicast packets back to the clients based on the incoming requests.
All Targets must connect to a DIS Domain. The server's exercise ID in the Domain must match the client.
Note that the "DIS:" notation for the Domain Name is not supported for this configuration and will cause the HF Server to fail.